Blog Archive

19 April 2007

Melanie Benson- Head of Year 9 Burnholme Community College

Recently, Kev, CJ and their team have been working with some of my Year 9 Year Group on the Arts Fusion Project. This has, quite simply amazed me! They have managed to bring together students of different socio-economic backgrounds and, through their work, have allowed them to form strong bonds of friendship. This is something that, as a Head of Year, I have found difficult to do! Not only that, but the students have learnt some valuable moral lessons. Their confidence has soared and I have seen an unleashing of previously untapped potential that has made me re-think how these students are dealt with in our school. It is lovely to see their eyes shining when they explain to me what they have been doing. I always believe and constantly reiterate to them that they can be anything they want to be and succeed in so much. It has been great to see that, although some struggle academically, they have gifts in other areas. Their belief in their own worth has started to grow. Thankyou, and long may this continue!

No comments: