Blog Archive

19 April 2007

Breakdance Workshop by Scott Akoz

I have had plenty of teaching experience from helping groups of young offenders in a secure complex (like a prison for young people) to the most well spoken 8 year olds from Rufforth in York.

I found this session challenging as I had to make it accessible for everyone. From explaining where breakdance comes from at the start of the workshop I found that there was a mixed 'want' to actually learn what I was there to teach. I also saw a mixed amount of respect within the group, some giving and some expecting.

I saw fantastic amounts of effort being put in from the three lads showboating at the front (you know you were boys!) to the girls taking a back seat giving it a go, trying hard to come up with a personal freeze, a signature move, one that was not too hard to do!

There was a point within the session that I thought things were going to collapse and end up in chaos, but we had a few words with each other and gave it a go. We managed to really pull it together like a crew and come up with some well presented freezes. I can't wait to see the pictures - I am sure Jim, C.J. and Koovine are working on it.

We finished the session with a little 'Jam' where we all get the chance to showboat once again... so I did!

Here is a previous picture Jim Poyner took of me for a magazine he helped put together. This is one of my signature moves, one I use to represent myself.

Click for Jim Poyner's Website



Peace
Scott 'Akoz' Ensbury



Click for the Gravity Control Myspace

This is my crew 'Gravity Control'

No comments: